The fun begins on FRIDAY, May 5th,with a delivery of compost! What else?! Apparently, this is promised to be a very small delivery, but strong volunteers are sought to help do a bit of pushing and shoving. To me, to you. The delivery slot is 9am, but it usually arrives early. If you can make it for 8.30 you will hopefully be rewarded with a brew and, with any luck, some kind of cake...
THE MAIN EVENTS - May 6th and 7th, and May 20th and 21st
Pre-sale, we will be gathering from 8ish to explore the mysteries of the gazebo. This could be very straightforward. I'll say no more, but many hands might make lighter work.
The sales start at 9.30am and carry on until 2.30pm. We would welcome any help that you could give us on either of the days with:
- chatting with customers, giving encouragement and answering questions - none of us are experts (as if I needed to tell you that!) but buyers often like to throw in the odd query about whether they can grow sprouts on the patio, or plant out their tomatoes before the last snowfall is expected.
- selling - we have a central sales point, which can get a little hectic. Mental arithmetic is a welcome skill at this one, and no, we do not accept card payment.
- manning (and womanning) the Hut, and its contents.
- fetching and carrying - from bags of compost to precious plants.
- making and serving tea, coffee and cakes.
We welcome all volunteers, for as long as they can stand the excitement, or, indeed, stay standing! The days are long, but its definitely a case of every little bit helps!
Seedlings and full-blown plants will be gratefully received on Friday, or can just be brought along to the Sales. If no one is around, donations can be left by the hut, or by the entrance to the community plot if the gate is open. We have never turned away a plant yet, and aim to rehome as many as possible!
Cakes will also be gratefully received. Believe it or not, some customers come primarily for the refreshments, and your showstopper or humble rock bun will be equally welcomed.
Finally - many, many thanks to all of you out there in internet land who have sown and grown and divided and potted and stripped. The Plant Sales are very much a team/community effort and we are grateful to anyone who has contributed in any way.
Hope to see you next weekend!